19 March 2018

"When It Takes a Village: Applying Cluster Research Techniques," SCGS Webinar

Join me for my presentation, "When It Takes a Village: Applying Cluster Research Techniques," this Wednesday evening, March 21 (6 PM Pacific; 7 PM Mountain; 8 PM Central; and 9 PM Eastern Time). The talk is part of the Southern California Genealogical Society's 2018 Jamboree Webinar Extension Series. Listening and viewing the presentation live is free to all. After the live presentation, the webinar will be available to SCGS members behind their pay wall.

It is best to sign up in advance. To do so, go to: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/4442554029597179137

"When It Takes a Village" broadly covers the concept of cluster research, also known as the FAN principle: following your target person's friends/family, acquaintances and neighbors to make the most of the clues their records may provide.

Cluster research is a best practice in genealogy. Cluster research techniques are evident in nearly every article in the National Genealogical Quarterly.

My presentation includes a case study chronicling my search for Feiga Grinfeld, who accompanied my great grandfather, Avrum Garber, when he arrived at Ellis Island in 1922. My search for Feiga took me from New York City, to Kentucky, to Ohio, and to Detroit. It involved following possible townspeople, relatives, and in-laws of relatives. To track Feiga and determine her relationship to my great grandfather, involved use of passenger manifests; state and federal census records; city directories; newspapers; death records; marriage records in Ohio, New York and Montana; tombstones; postcards; interviews with relatives; and both Y-DNA and autosomal DNA testing.

This will be the first time I am doing a webinar for the Southern California Genealogical Society and I am very excited about the opportunity. I hope you will join me.

In addition, please note upcoming webinars in their series. There are quite a few excellent speakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts are always welcome but will be approved before posting. I actually prefer to just let people comment without going through this rigmarole, but I've recently had to delete some posts that I had not vetted before publication. So, please don't be offended. I love to hear from you!