29 October 2015

Treasure Chest Thursday: Abe and Norma Gootkin Family, FLPBA 1949 anniversary publication advertisement

I have not been able to determine much about Abe and Norma Gootkin prior to the 1940 census. They appear there in Brooklyn with their baby son Jack who was born in 1939.[1] They were both identified by Norma (the informant) as naturalized immigrants from Russia. Abe worked cleaning windows. 

While I have not located naturalization papers or manifests, I did locate their marriage record in the Italian Genealogical Group index of New York City marriage records (I have not yet ordered the record from the NYC Municipal Archives and I have not located it in the FamilySearch index). The index indicates that they married in Kings County (Brooklyn), NY and that Norma's maiden name had been Orenstein.[2] This information is confirmed by her obituary in the Suffolk County News.[3] Apparently, Jack was their only child.

Abe and Norma are the only Gootkins or Orensteins in any of the three First Lubiner Progressive Benevolent Association burial plots in the New York area (They are buried in the plot in Beth Moses Cemetery, Pinelawn, NY). Thus I have not been able to identify relatives whose immigration papers I might locate and I am unsure which member of this family, if either, was from Lubin or its vicinity.

Notes:
1. 1940 U.S. census, Kings County, New York, population schedule, Brooklyn, enumeration district 24-78, sheet 7A, household 129, Abe and Norma Gootkin family; digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 25 October 2015); NARA microfilm publication T627, roll 2548.
2. Kings County, New York, marriage certificate no. 4251 (1935), Abe Gootkin and Norma Orenstein, 16 March 1935; index, "New York City Grooms Record Index," Italian Genealogical Group (http://italiangen.org/ : accessed 25 October 2015).
3. "Norma Gootkin," Suffolk County News (Sayville, NY), 24 April 1986, p. 22; digital image, Old Fulton New York Postcards (http://fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html : accessed 25 October 2015).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts are always welcome but will be approved before posting. I actually prefer to just let people comment without going through this rigmarole, but I've recently had to delete some posts that I had not vetted before publication. So, please don't be offended. I love to hear from you!