07 October 2014

Treasure Chest Tuesday: Rabbi Yitzchak ben Rabbi Yisrael, Labun Jewish Cemetery

In June of 2013 I had the pleasure of visiting Ukraine and Labun (now Yurovshchina; once called Lubin in Yiddish), my paternal grandparents' community. We were able to visit the old Jewish cemetery, which I discussed in an earlier post. Over the next several Tuesdays I will post photos and translations (as I am able to decipher) of tombstones from that cemetery. Most do not feature surnames.
 

Here lies
a simple [modest] man
honored teacher and rabbi
Yitzchak son of Rabbi
Yisrael. Died
8th day 
of the month ...[1]

I'm afraid that my photography skills were lacking in this photo and I inadvertently cut off the last line of the epitaph. So, the month of death is unclear and we have no year.

The only Rabbi I'd previously known for Labun was Rabbi Yoer Lerner. Lerner immigrated to the United States in 1924.[2] He and his first wife Rivka are buried in the First Lubiner Progressive Benevolent Association plot in Montefiore Cemetery in Queens, New York. 
Notes:
1. Translation of this stone was a group effort by several generous genealogists who responded to my post on Tracing the Tribe FaceBook page: Binyamon Lewis, Smadar Belkin Gerson, Lara Diamond, Israel Pickholtz and Robin Meltzer. Thank you (and to Schelly for conceiving of and maintaining TTT).
2. "New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957," digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com: accessed 25 January 2012), digital image, manifest, SS. Cedric, Liverpool to New York, arriving 11 March 1924, p. 7 (stamped), Fre Lerner; citing National Archives Microfilm Serial T715, roll 3461.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts are always welcome but will be approved before posting. I actually prefer to just let people comment without going through this rigmarole, but I've recently had to delete some posts that I had not vetted before publication. So, please don't be offended. I love to hear from you!