02 September 2014

Tombstone Tuesday: Reisel, Labun Cemetery

In June of 2013 I had the pleasure of visiting Ukraine and several ancestral family communities. Labun (now Yurovshchina; once called Lubin in Yiddish), my paternal grandparents' community was my principal goal. We were able to visit the old Jewish cemetery, which I discussed in an earlier post. Over the next several Tuesdays I will post photos and translations (as I am able to decipher) of tombstones from that cemetery. Most do not feature surnames.


An esteemed and modest woman
Mrs. Reisel daughter of
Yehoshuah Avraham
Died 6 Shevet
Sabbath, in the year 5673
May her soul be bound in everlasting life

In using Steve Morse's Hebrew calendar conversion tool, we find that Reisel died on 14 January 1913 (in today's Gregorian calendar), or in 1 January 1913 in the Julian calendar (which was in effect in the Russian Empire, where she died, until 1918).

2 comments:

  1. חשובה means "important," but "esteemed" is probably better for tombstones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Israel! I will correct that on the post. Thanks for reading and helping out.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts are always welcome but will be approved before posting. I actually prefer to just let people comment without going through this rigmarole, but I've recently had to delete some posts that I had not vetted before publication. So, please don't be offended. I love to hear from you!