04 February 2013

When Bernie (Sonny) met Norma: Courtship Letters, 8

When my father died in 2002 and my mother began her precipitous decline (dying eight months later) my brother and I began the arduous task of cleaning out the house. In my mother's dresser drawer I found a packet of twelve envelopes containing letters my father had sent her during their courtship. The letters are sweet and humorous, completely reminiscent of my father's personality. They are a wonderful chronicle of the beginning of their enduring love-affair.
In honor of what would be my parents 66th anniversary on February 9th, I will be posting a letter each day along with an annotated transcription adding additional insights and explication.
____________________________




August 19, 1945

Dear Norma,

    It is now Sunday evening and I am about to go to bed. This is more of a good night than a hello. I like good nights better anyway. hubba! hubba!

    The service club ran a bus to Virginia Beach and I took advantage of it. We arrived there at eleven in the morning and spent the rest of the day on the beach. I, now, have the start of a pretty good tan but my nose looks like a beet. That darn thing sticks out enough to be closest to the sun. The water was pretty rough and there was an undertow making swimming a little difficult. After being buffeted about by the waves and running around the beach, I am a little tired, this evening.

    Besides spending a pleasant day it was good for me to get away from it all. It was a complete change of scenery.

    I didn't check the mail today because I came back to [sic] late but I hope there is a letter from you waiting for me. I am bucking for a pass on the Jewish Holidays and I am looking forward to seeing you. That is if I get the pass.

    That's about all for this evening, so I'll close with regards to all.

                                                                                                          Love

                                                                                                          Sonny


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts are always welcome but will be approved before posting. I actually prefer to just let people comment without going through this rigmarole, but I've recently had to delete some posts that I had not vetted before publication. So, please don't be offended. I love to hear from you!